Eve Lom: Gel Balm Cleanser

A month ago I was lucky enough to be selected by SpaceNK to test a brand new product launching  - and no deluxe size samples to muck about with. I was sent a full size version of Eve Lom's Gel Balm Cleanser so I could well and truly test this out and see what I thought - and of course leave them some feedback on their site.
I was a little concerned about testing out this particular cleanser. Apparently Eve Lom's original balm cleanser is one of SpaceNK's best selling products ever. I tried it out a few years ago and was not a fan. Not only did I not really like the texture - but it gave me spots! And it took me a lot longer than I would have liked to realise it was the cleanser. So I was worried that I would have a similar reaction and be left a face that would need hidden away and covered in spot cream. Glamorous. 

Spoiler: it did not break me out. And I have used it religiously since receiving it. Twice a day every day.

The good:

It works! I have used this both on a dry face to massage in and a slightly damp face as a second cleanse. If you're slightly damp there's obviously a lot of slip. But if you whack it on to a dry face you can give yourself a good old facial massage. I use a warm washcloth to take it off, but apparently you can take it off with just water. Personally, I'd stick to the washcloth or flannel. Not entirely convinced just water would rinse all the cleanser away. The texture is thicker than other gel balm cleansers. It doesn't immediately turn to a thin oil as it warms up. It seems to want you to work a little more for it.

Your face is left not only cleansed but feeling quite moisturised. So much so you feel like you could pass on the moisturiser after. I also wouldn't recommend that. But if you're in a rush in the morning and using a tinted moisturiser rather than foundation - you could give it a go and not end up a flakey mess by lunch.

Also the packaging is great. While opaque so you can't see how much product you have left, it is a pump similar to my all time favourite - the Oskia Renaissance cleanser. Which means you're not digging your grubby little fingers into a pot to get out the product.

A little goes a long way While I've been feeling flush so using two pumps at a time, one pump should do your whole face with ease and last you ages!

The not-so good:

And this one will come down to a personal preference -- I'm not a fan of the smell. Ironically, it's part of Eve Lom's signature. It's a combination of clove, eucalyptus, hops and chamomile. The spicy scent might be better in the winter. But realistically, it's not for me. I prefer a more delicate rose or slightly citrus scent. 'Spa' type scents can be very hit and miss. Aesop's parsley range is glorious -- this, not so much. But it doesn't linger, so you only smell it as you massage it in. Once it's rinsed off, so is the smell. 

It is out in the UK at Space NK as of August 15. If you are already a fan of Eve Lom or just looking for something new, it definitely works. But if you aren't quite sure about the smell - pop into a store and see for yourself. 


Comments