WEI: Royal Ming Firming and Hydrading Cream

I received a sample of this with my last Space NK online purchase. You know those ones that you have to choose from a random selection of sachets just before you check out. I'm basically the person that samples were made for. So often I go back and get the full size version - I'm looking at you Aesop!

I have tried WEI before in the form of one of their scary looking masks that make you look like you'll be hunting small children and kittens. As horrific as anyone looks in one of those masks, the actual result was lovely. My skin did feel amazing after, so have always looked to try more products from the brand.

However, this was not the way to go -- at least for me. I don't love the scent. And that really shouldn't matter for skincare *really* but it does. As part of any skincare routine, you want to enjoy the products you put on your face as much as the time you're taking for yourself to do it. So an appealing smell is always a plus. I will say the smell wasn't terrible or off putting. Just not something I'd want to reach for again and again.

But more importantly the problem with this cream is the texture. It's a heavy duty thick cream. Not popular with everyone, but I don't mind. It it feels tacky both when you're applying it and well after putting the product on your face. It's not one that can be worked in and there's a residue type feeling with it rather than a hydrating sensation.

From the site's description, this formula is meant to stem from the Ming Dynasty some 600 years ago. The mix of herbs to "deliver balance and a smooth, youthful luminosity to dry, ageing and lined skin". At £74 for a 50ml pot, I would hope that it would work some kind of miracle -- but I won't be using this one long enough to find out.

Comments