Make Up For Ever: Aqua XL eye pencil (black)

Not unlike the search for the perfect mascara, the search for the perfect waterproof pencil trundles on. 

Recently I was lucky enough to have a holiday in Turkey with work and a lush resort. So lush that I didn’t feel comfortable wandering about looking as I do when I first get up. I mean, no one really should be subjected to that.

I wanted to minimise the makeup I was going to bring with so wanted bits suitable for a seaside look as well as something that could be built up for a bit more glamorous finish for the evening.

I turned to my trusted friend, YouTube, to search out recommendations and stumbled across one of the fabulous PixiWoo videos specifically for a ‘beach look’. Sam recommended the Make Up Fo Ever Aqua XL waterproof eye pencil.

Normally I’d be loathe to spend £15 on a kohl liner, but I’ve been attempting a lot more tight lining looks AND had a voucher for Debenhams. So off I went. Once I grabbed the attention of the disinterested counter staff who assured me wholeheartedly that this wouldn’t budge, I was on my way.

You know where this is going …. 

Cut to poolside panda eyes. I didn’t even need to go into the pool for it to have smudged around my eyes or disappeared completely. While I chalked this up to a potentially oily SPF that wreaked havoc on any makeup, I found similar when I returned. I didn't even attempt to see how this would last in the actual pool - despite it's bold waterproof claims.

I’ve used this a number of times since returning from holiday and have not yet found any sort of staying power at all when I’m using it in the waterline. Or even smudged around my lashes. It either smudges far too much on its own throughout the day or disappears all together. 

I’ll see if using a different primer or even a setting power can help. But at the moment, it doesn’t seem to wear any different than the far more affordable Rimmel Scandaleyes. I’d save your money.

If anyone has any recommendations for a solid black eyeliner for tightlining - DO let me know! 


jb x

Comments